In this article the Wall Street Journal retraces 5 steps in the saga between the US and the Swiss Banks.
1. UBS to Give 4,450 Names to U.S. [August 20, 2009]
2. Whistleblower Gets $104 Million [September 11, 2012]
3. Time to Say ‘Bye’ to Uncle Sam? [August 17, 2013]
4. The Next Offshore Target [April 04, 2014]
5. Expats Break Up With Uncle Sam [June 16, 2014]
After 2009 when the US authorities obtained information about the identities of clients of some Swiss Banks, they began a crackdown on offshore accounts. So far, more than 100 taxpayers and advisers have been indicted. More than 43,000 taxpayers have entered amnesty programs. The number of Americans renouncing their citizenship has hit records.